Get an Early Start on a Lifetime of Smiles
As a parent in Lake Mary, we understand that you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a beautiful smile.
Here at Beim Orthodontics, we’ll treat your children like our own by giving them the best possible orthodontic care.
Kids Should Have An Orthodontic Check-Up By Age 7
By seven years old your child's teeth have developed enough for subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth to still be detected while some baby teeth are still present.
This check-up may reveal that your child's teeth and bite are fine, and orthodontic treatment at Beim Orthodontics isn’t necessary at this time.
However, Dr. Beim may discover a developing problem and suggest monitoring your child's growth and development, and, if necessary, begin treatment at the appropriate time for your child.
In some cases, Dr. Beim might find a problem that would benefit from early orthodontic treatment.
What Is Early Treatment?
Early orthodontic treatment at Beim Orthodontics can intercept (and even prevent) serious problems from developing and make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
In some cases, Dr. Beim will be able to achieve results that would not be possible once the face and jaws have fully developed.
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces will vary, orthodontic treatment most often begins between the ages of 9 and 14. Some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they're treated early.
If Dr. Beim thinks your child will benefit from treatment, he'll walk you through what to expect and when it will be best to begin treatment. This gives your orthodontist the best chance to:
- Guide jaw growth
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve appearance and self-esteem in your child
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Create a more pleasing arrangement of teeth, lips and face
Signs the Bite's Not Right
It can be tricky to tell when your child may need braces or has an orthodontic problem without a trained orthodontist like Dr. Beim. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite.
Here are some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention:
- Protruding teeth
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If your child has a dental issue, please contact us by setting up a free consultation at our Lake Mary office.
We’ll discuss your child's orthodontic options and Dr. Beim will develop a treatment plan customized to their unique needs if needed.